After many struggles, dead fish, dead plants, bug attacks, fish food issues and water heater issues, at last, all our hard work (I should say my HUSBAND'S hard work), has finally paid off. The system has been up and running for nine months and this is the kind of growth we see:
This picture was taken April 9th of this year, just after we planted the summer garden.
|And THIS was taken last weekend, May 5th - olne month's growth. All I can say is WOW! Obviously all biological systems are operating on full steam ahead. I'm particularly impressed by the snow peas (we are harvesting every day). I've also never seen strawberry leaves so big (although the birds seem to be getting most of those). Our cucmbers are already blooming, the beans are blooming and the watermelons just started growing well this past week when we finally got some sunshine and warmth.|
I'm so excited, remember, this system has no chemicals, no soil and minimal input from the gardener. We feed the fish several times a day. The pump circulates the water up to the grow beds. The grow beds fill with water, then the siphon forms in the bell siphon and the whole bed flushes out, drawing oxygen down to the plant roots as it travels back to the fish tank by gravity. We also added red worms to the system in September along with a stock tank water heater (when we found out bream don't live in temps below 41 degrees). Some of the fish are already large enough to eat. but others are still small. Soon we will have fish for dinner!